Draining petrol from a generator is an easy thing everyone can do. This article describes in detail the possible ways you can successfully drain your petrol out of your generator, either a big generator or a small generator.
In this article, you will learn about the importance of draining petrol from a generator, the things that are needed when draining the petrol and the process involved.
So, stay tuned and read to the end, on how you can properly drain petrol from a generator.
What You Need to Drain Petrol From a Generator
If you need to drain petrol from a generator, there are things needed. So here are what you will need to drain petrol from your generator : –
1. A funnel
The first thing you will need when trying to drain petrol is a funnel. Funnels are used as a guide to help drain the petroleum into your container. It is a receptacle to catch the petrol.
2. A Plier
A plier is used to turn the petrol on and off, but most times, it is not necessarily because our hands can be used for that.
Benefits of Draining Petrol From a Generator?
If you’re wondering how to drain petrol from a generator, you’re not alone. Many people don’t know that it’s important to do this, but it can be a lifesaver.
Here are the benefits or importance of draining petrol from a generator.
1. Helps to Prevent The Generator From Damaging
Draining petrol from a generator is important because it can help prevent engine damage. If petrol sits in the engine for too long, it can cause corrosion and other problems. This can lead to expensive repairs or, in some cases, a complete replacement.
2. Helps to Keep the Generator Running Smoothly
Draining the petrol also helps to keep the generator running smoothly. Over time, petrol can gum up the engine and cause it to run less efficiently.
3. Keeps the Generator Working
Draining the petrol ensures that the engine will run at its best. It helps to keep the generator working properly.
Also, read:- Best Ways to Maintain Your Small Portable Generator
How to Drain Petrol From A Generator
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about your generator until the power goes out. But if you want to be prepared for an emergency, it’s important to know how to drain the petrol from your generator.
If your generator has been sitting for a while, it’s important to drain the petrol before starting it up again. Or, if you are abandoning the generator for a while, it is advisable to drain the petrol.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do this:
1. Disconnect The Generator From Any Power Source. Start by disconnecting the generator from any power source.
2. Next, open the fuel valve and allow the petrol to drain into a suitable container.
3. Once the fuel has drained, close the fuel valve and reconnect the generator to its power source.
4. Finally, start the generator and let it run for a few minutes to prime the pump and bleed any remaining petrol from the system.
Other Alternative Of Draining Petrol From a Generator
When it comes time to shut down your generator for the season, it’s important to properly drain the petrol from the engine. If you don’t, the petrol can gum up the works and make it difficult to start the generator next season as stated earlier.
However, If you can not follow above ways of draining petrol, here are other alternative on how to do it:
1. Run the generator until it runs out of petrol. This will help to flush any contaminants out of the system.
2. Once the generator has run out of petrol, disconnect the fuel line from the engine.
3. Place a pan under the engine and open the drain valve. Let the petrol drain out completely.
4. Close the drain valve and reconnect the fuel line.
5. And lastly, run the generator for some minutes, till probably it off by itself or till when you are sure there’s no single petrol left both in its carburettor and its tank.
So, do you have any questions to ask about your generator? If you have questions to ask, you can do so in the comment section below or contact us.